Crux Climbing Center is dedicated to strengthening diversity and inclusivity within climbing culture. Listening to and amplifying diverse voices is necessary for growth, and we at Crux strive to create a welcoming community for all current and future climbers. We want our space to be safe for people of all skill levels, so they may feel comfortable enough to climb, develop their community, and have the support and understanding needed to succeed.
Steps We’re Taking
Crux Climbing Center is fully committed to increasing the diversity of our workplace and how we engage with the world. We are more than just a gym in that we believe it is our responsibility to take action and be part of the change. Below is just a start to initiatives we are taking part in:
- Matched donations with the community to raise $12,000 for the NAACP, Austin Justice Coalition, Campaign Zero, and Black Lives Matter.
- Partnered with Catalyst Sports to host Adaptive Climbing Day. With assistance from volunteers, we were able to help create a more accessible day of climbing for people with varying abilities.
- Continue to work with nonprofit organizations to offer scholarships and free or discounted rates for day passes, summer camps and climbing classes for under-served communities; particularly youth, or groups intended to bring together traditionally underrepresented communities such BIPOC, LGBTQ+, differing abilities, and others! If you are a nonprofit that would like more information on this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org! Not sure if your group/program is eligible? Shoot us an email anyway!
- Host climbing nights with Brown Ascenders, GLAM, and similar groups. If your group would like to host a climbing night, please email email@example.com – we would love to have you!
- Partner with Isomzone Fitness to host basketball camps for Austin youth.
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive space for people of all backgrounds, ages and abilities. We are actively taking steps to meet that commitment with our staff and community. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply; including, but not limited to, persons of color, women, LGBTQ people, and those with varying abilities. We are an equal opportunity employer that pledges to not discriminate against employees based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ability, or genetic information.
Please check out our Application Page for the full list of requirements. Enthusiasm for climbing is highly recommended for fitness and yoga applicants, but not required. We take applications at all times, even when not actively hiring. We understand that there may be capable applicants who do not necessarily fit the criteria we have provided, and who have vital skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, tell us about yourself and please, do not hesitate to apply.